Offsetting Carbon Emissions With Forests
The School District uses oil to heat school buildings. Go Green! is a new project the district will implement. The superintendent has declared that the district will dedicate itself to reducing its carbon footprint. In addition to taking serious energy-conservation measures, the district is planning to help offset its carbon dioxide emissions by raising money to help conserve a portion of a large tract of forest land adjacent to the high school campus.
Use the assumptions below to answer the questions that follow. For each calculation, show all work.
- The biomass of the forest increases at an annual rate of kg/ha.
- The forest biomass is percent carbon by mass.
- Each year the district uses gallons of fuel oil for heating and hot water.
- 10 kg of CO2 is produced when 1 gallon of fuel oil is combusted.
- 1.0 kg of CO2 contains 0.27 kg of carbon.